Wednesday 15 April 2009

A Passion for Games

Without a passion for what your doing it's hard to put in all your effort. Luckily being passionate about games isn't very hard. If you play them and love to play them, then you could easily apply yourself in the games industry.

"Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in you life" -

Confucius

Of course there has to be more to it than just wanting to play games all day (which is hard to get away from).
Starting with my passion, I started with a Nintendo when it came out and at first it was just this fun thing my parents got me and my brother for Christmas. Now the idea of Mario brings some tears to the eye to think how far games have progressed but to be honest my passion didn't really start until I played Zelda on the Super Nintendo, it's just became my sort of game. Sadly I can play that game start to finish in about 3 hours and i remember where everything is. If I could apply that kind of memory to anything else then opportunities would be almost endless but I can't, it only works on games.

The Final Fantasy series have become my favourite games, again with VII being my favourite I can remember almost every part of the game, as far as secrets and little extras like buying a useless apartment at the beach resort Costa Del Sol. Yet no matter how many times I play it, it's still exciting, enjoyable and can sometimes make me well up at points *SPOILER* When Aeris has to be killed by Sephiroth, the only saving fact is that Sephiroth is my favourite character. The good old silver haired nemesis of this Final Fantasy.
With such a passion for just playing this one game I have always dreamed of one day working on any type of Final Fantasy game and either get my own input into an idea for a game or even something simple as remaking VII as with a majority vote it is the said to be the best. In my opinion it is the best due to the lovable characters and compelling story but every other Final Fantasy has fantastic characters and story so personal opinion is the only way to determine the best.

To end my love for games, I left the best until last, not necessarily my favourite game but the 4Th installment of this series is the best game I have played, there was nothing I could fault it with except the fact that it had an ending, I wanted it to last forever.
I speak of the monumental workings of Hideo Kojima. METAL GEAR SOLIDThe series of games just draw you into the character Solid Snake who is by far one of the best main characters of any game. Taking inspiration from so many good films like James Bond and Snake Plissken (played by Kurt Russell) the character just screams how 'cool' he is. Working on a game like this would make my career complete as well but to work for a company as huge as Konami would require some serious work but that's the whole point of what I'm doing. I want to work my way up and prove that I'm good enough to work in such a huge company.

My journey is going to start small and I plan to stay in Scotland for the most of it but eventually Japan will be my next and perhaps final stop. The passion I have for games is what is pushing me to move. Learning Japanese is something I've always wanted to do and I have scratched the surface of the basics but if a love of computer games can make me want to learn a language then I'm sure I'm in the right place.

3 comments:

  1. the games you have mentioned are all amazing, but I think that today there is a major lack of outstanding new games and too much overhype for the new titles, which by the way keep disappointing consumers,however Bioshock was a pleasent surprise, I just wish there was more Amazingness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Final Fantasy dedication.....you may continue living...:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zelda, never had a snes, i prefered BLAST processing LOL, in joke.

    Will the almighty FF7 be surpassed by FF13? Nah you'll never beat; prerendered backgrounds, hair that consists of 5 polygons and swords taller than the men that wields then.

    FF7 is the Ultima Weapon, the Buster Sword, the knights of the round, the golden chocobo, the golden saucer.

    It's a franchise within a franchise... name another!?


    MGS4... being a sequel in title AND story it done something to me that only Final Fantasy Crisis Core has come close too. It let me relive my gaming youth, but in MGS4 the game had aged with me. I returned to a level I had played almost 10 years ago and it was like it had always been there waiting for me, maturing becoming deeper. Shadow Moses was deserted, but beautiful, frozen but cozy and embracing. Kojima orchestrated whispers within the game which voiced, and echoed, the decade old whispers in my mind, before Snake collects the ultimate in retro chiche, laser-sighted, SOCOM kickassery.
    This is a peacefull section of the game which aids in offsetting the veritable shitstorm of other cool as fuck stuff that happens at almost every other part of this game, especially in the final act.
    Not until Clint Eastwood in Gran Turino has OLD (truely) = COOL!
    Thank you Kojima, another encore would be vastly appreciated worldwide.


    Am hoping we Both get the jobs we want after uni and am looking forward quality games, made by quality guys :-)

    ReplyDelete