Tuesday 14 April 2009

University

Starting a career is a hard choice. What do you want to do? Where do you want to do it? Can you afford to go and make you dream happen?

My journey started at the University of Abertay Dundee. The choices I made before University didn't have much of an effect on what I wanted to do with my life.

An article on Guardian.co.uk clearly shows that Abertay is one of the best places to go if your interest are in games or of course a range of other courses.

"You could never accuse Abertay of being stuck in the past. It offers world-leading courses in computer arts and computer games technology, has some of the best IT facilities in the UK, and an £8m library. Dundee itself is a bustling, hard-working kind of city, the fourth largest in Scotland and also, apparently, the warmest, thanks to its south-facing aspect. In 2005, a new £6m student centre with cinema, coffee shop, nightclub and exhibition space opened. There are good local arts scenes, with a particularly good track record in music. Snow Patrol was formed by Dundee students, if you like that sort of thing." - Education Guardian, Thursday 1 May 2008 14.55 BST

My first experience of university was exciting and the course just seemed to be so ideal for anyone who likes just playing games. We got the chance to write essays on our favourite games, games companies we liked and even be original with sound effects and artistic designs. The other side to the course is filled with Business, Accounting and even Law. Although it all sounds boring, not a single moment seemed pointless, I enjoyed learning about all the areas of this course.

Having originally got into the course to become a Producer, it has opened my eyes to many other aspects of the games industry that are available. Ideally I would become a great Producer and eventually an Executive Producer but the idea of a Publisher isn't bad or even a Designer but if I had to choose another area I would go into Level Designing, I love being in control of what the player will experience.

I'll post more detail on aspects of my university life at a later point, maybe even try to dazzle you with some of my level design ideas.
Leave a comment or send me an email if you'd like to hear anything from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment